If I decide to create some young forest, can I get help?

Yes, you can. Since most land in the Northeast is privately owned, it’s vitally important for wildlife’s sake that landowners help make and maintain young forest, especially in tracts 5 acres and larger. Read the non-technical Young Forest Guide published by the Wildlife Management Institute. Then contact your state wildlife agency, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program, the U.S.D.A. Natural Resources Conservation Service, the Ruffed Grouse Society, or a certified forester to learn how to proceed. For projects that help wildlife, full or partial funding may be available.